Israel Backs Plan to Extend Gaza Ceasefire for Ramadan

Truce Extension Aims to Secure Hostage Release Amid Ongoing Tensions

Jerusalem: Israel has endorsed a proposal to extend the Gaza ceasefire as a temporary measure after the first phase of its truce with Hamas came to an end.

The proposal, initiated by US President Donald Trump’s Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff, aims to cover Ramadan (ending in late March) and Passover (lasting through mid-April), according to a statement from the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office released just after midnight on Sunday.

Uncertain Future for Ceasefire Deal

The first phase of the ceasefire was set to expire over the weekend, with no clear agreement on the next steps toward a permanent resolution. Ongoing negotiations remain inconclusive, as the fate of hostages held in Gaza and the lives of over two million Palestinians continue to hang in the balance.

According to the Israeli statement, the ceasefire extension would involve the release of half the hostages still in Gaza on the day the deal takes effect, with the remaining captives to be freed if both sides agree on a permanent ceasefire.

There was no immediate response from Hamas, which had previously rejected an extension.

International Pressure to Prevent War Resumption

Israel’s decision comes amid global pressure to prevent a return to war. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned of “catastrophic” consequences if the fighting resumes, emphasizing that a permanent ceasefire and hostage release are critical to avoiding further civilian suffering.

Despite multiple negotiations in Cairo last week involving Egyptian, Qatari, and US mediators, there has been no breakthrough. As Ramadan began, Muslims in Gaza marked the occasion with colored lights illuminating war-damaged neighborhoods.

A senior Hamas official told AFP that the group was willing to release all remaining hostages in a single prisoner exchange deal during the second phase of negotiations. However, analysts suggest Hamas lacks the leverage to force Israel into the next stage.

Ceasefire and Hostage Exchanges So Far

The ongoing truce, which began on January 19, led to the release of 25 hostages by Hamas, while Israel retrieved the bodies of eight others in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.

Of the 251 hostages taken during Hamas’s October 7 attack, 58 remain in captivity, including 34 whom Israel believes are dead.

In a recent development, Hamas’s armed wing released a hostage video, warning: “Only a ceasefire agreement brings them back alive.” The footage has yet to be independently verified.

Political Tensions Within Israel

Domestic politics could complicate Israel’s ceasefire decisions. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, a key member of Netanyahu’s far-right coalition, has threatened to resign if Israel does not resume military operations.

“The government could collapse if we enter phase two of negotiations,” said Michael Horowitz, head of intelligence at Le Beck International.

Israel also insists on maintaining a military presence along Gaza’s border with Egypt to prevent arms smuggling to Hamas.

The Devastating Human Cost

The war, which began after Hamas’s October 7 attack, has taken a staggering toll. The attack resulted in 1,218 Israeli deaths, mostly civilians. In response, Israel’s military campaign has killed 48,388 people in Gaza, according to figures from both sides.

Meanwhile, UN reports indicate that around 70% of Gaza’s buildings have been damaged or destroyed, nearly the entire population has been displaced, and the region is facing a severe hunger crisis.

With no concrete agreement in place, the fragile ceasefire hangs in the balance as the world watches for the next steps in this high-stakes conflict.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *